Oct 21, 2010

Life update

There is not particular topic for this post, just an update on my life the past week!

  Last Friday I met up with some people my age, many new to Hong Kong like myself and a couple Hong Kong natives. We went out to a great Italian place called Pizza Express. Although the name makes it sound like a fast food place, it was actually a really fun, relatively authentic Italian restaurant with great food. Sometimes I think Chinese restaurant owners don't really understand the meaning behind restaurant names they choose here or don't think twice about how the words may be translated. Anyways, after dinner we went for drinks at a bar on the water called McLovins. It was expensive but had a great view and live music.

On Saturday I met up with Eszter and her fiance, Zoltan, to go to the beach. Eszter is a new volunteer at Ocean Park who just moved here from Hungary for Zoltan's job (he is a vet). We went to Clear Water Bay. It was very beautiful. The water was pretty clear and relatively clean and we ended up spending most of the day there swimming and exploring.







On Sunday I met up with my same friends I went out with on Friday, my friends from the GeoExPat website. We went out for brunch at an American type resturant. They serve 'diner' type food 24 hours a day. They name of the place is called The Flying Pan. It was nice to have an American type breakfast since they are hard to find here!
Veggie omelet with toast and fruit

My busy weekend continued into Monday where I met my veggie group for dinner. It is a meet up group I found online which they call 'Meatout Monday'. They meet every Monday at a different vegetarian restaurant in Hong Kong. They meals are usually served family style so you get to try a little bit of everything! This time we went to a 'food stall'. So there is basically this huge food market that is like a food court with a bunch of different stalls. You sit at a table near the stall but are basically mixed in with everyone. This stall was called Kan Kee Vegetarian Stall. It is owned by one women who has two cooks. The food was great and reasonably priced. I even went back tonight (Thurs) for dinner and got some food for take-out. The owner, Elsa, is very friendly and talked with me and wrote down my name, gave me a takeout menu and her cell phone number so I can call my orders in ahead of time. Here are some pictures of the food we had. . .
Fake glazed pork

cooked veggies

bean curd skin with ginger and veggies


On Wednesday night I went to the Happy Vally Racecourse with my GeoExPat friends. They have an Oktoberfest theme every Wednesday in October. So we had fun watching the races and watching the activities at the beer tents.


This week I also got a job at a tutoring agency. I will be tutoring Chinese students (kids in grade school) in conversational English. It will only be for an hour or two on the weekends but I'll be making about the same amount of money I make for a whole day at Ocean Park! So it will be nice to have a little be of extra money!


And last, but certainly not least, everyone here is anticipating 'Super Typhoon Megi'. This typhoon already hit the Philippines and has winds comparable to Hurricane Katrina. Right now the major part of the storm is supposed to hit a bit north of Hong Kong but we are still planning to get lots of wind and rain. Right now Hong Kong is under a T3 warning signal. The order goes T1, T3, T8, and last T10. Why this order? why not just go T1-T4? Because nothing makes sense in Hong Kong, that's why. Anyways, I digress. Right now we are at T3, but businesses and all public transportation close at level T10, which may happen on Friday afternoon. Either way I will try and keep you guys updated. Either way send your prayers, I don't feel like getting stuck in a Hurricane Katrina-like situation over here by myself. . .
the small red star on the coast is Hong Kong


This coming up - I will be visiting my mom's cousin, Kris, and her family in Shanghai next weekend (Oct 28-31)! I am very excited to see mainland China! (but don't even get me started on the process it took me to get my visa to get to China...)

As always, I miss all my family and friends back in that states!
Until next time, Kels xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment