Oct 13, 2010

Dolphin Training


Here are some pictures of me 'training' Ginsan, a 5 year old Indo-Pacific bottle Nose Dolphin. He is the main dolphin we work with in our Match-to-Sample research. Although I am 'training' him, it is more like he is training me because he has been doing these behaviors everyday for the past 5 years. I am the one just learning the behaviors and how to signal him. If he does a behavior wrong, it is usually not his fault, it is most likely because I was unclear on my signaling or messed up. Either way it is always fun getting to know him and spending time with him.

I have done 5 training sessions so far and can't wait to do more!

Belly-up...I like doing this because it gives me the chance to rub his belly, which he enjoys, and build trust

Feeding fish after a correct behavior

Hug

Kiss

Kiss again

Pec present . . . another chance to give him a rub/scratch

Spit water


I can't believe I am actually getting a chance to train dolphins. It seems like I have been wanting to do this since I was in 8th grade. I'm pretty sure it is every kids dream to be a dolphin trainer at some point or another in their life. I am lucky I get to try it at all, even if it is only once a week for a couple of months!

As always, I miss my family and friends back home. But I am getting very excited for my mom, Auntie Neenie, Grandma Joan, and dad to come visit!

Love, Kels

No comments:

Post a Comment